While working with SharePoint 2007, unblocking a file extension, I got an error saying that “An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPWebApplication Name=XXXX Parent=SPWebService is being updated by XXXXX, in the OWSTIMER process, on machine XXXXX. View the tracing log for more information about the conflict while unblocking a fie type” as shown the image below.
To fix this error we have to clear the configuration cache in SharePoint server. To clear the cache we have to follow the steps below,
- Go to the server where we are seeing the error and stop windows SharePoint service in services.
- Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID (here GUID is guid of the folder, we can see the Guid number, Drive is not specifically “C” that might be any drive that SharePoint installed)
- If we are using Windows server 2008 folder path would be C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID. If we didn’t see ProgramData file, we have to change the folder view settings.
- Back up the GUID folder another location, and delete all the XML files except Cache.ini file in the folder.
- Open the cache.ini file in any editor like notepad, select all the data, and delete it. Enter 1 and save the file.
- Start the Windows timer service in services.
- Clear the cache in all the WFE servers in the farm.
- Now we can block/unblock file without any error.
Hope this helps.